Thursday, April 14, 2011

Recycled Newspaper Easter Baskets


If bowls can be made out of magazine pages, why not make baskets for Easter?  Even kids can help fold the paper before an adult carefully glues the pieces together.  The small version of these eco-friendly Easter baskets can be completed in less than an hour (not including drying time).   Furthermore, it's the kind of simple project that can be done while you are watching T.V. or listening to a radio program.


MATERIALS LIST:
  • Newspaper inserts (e.g. uncut coupon inserts)
  • Hot glue gun
  • Hot glue sticks
  • Non-toxic paint, optional
  • Paint brushes or cotton swabs for painting, optional
  • Newspaper strips for paper mache, optional
  • Flour and water paper mache paste, optional



Directions:

1.  Fold a single sheet of a newspaper insert in half lengthwise.  Then continue to fold each side in half or thirds again until you have a symmetrically folded strip that is the width you desire.  Most of our strips were about 1 centimeter wide.

 2.  Next, roll the strip up into tight concentric circles and secure with a thin line of hot glue as you go.  Be extremely careful not to burn your fingers!

3.  Continue to add and glue more folded strips until you form the desired size of bowl.  Then, take another strip and glue on a handle.  For larger baskets you will need to glue together two folded strips to make a handle.  I also wrapped another couple of strips around the main handle for strength and a spiral decorative effect.

Bigger baskets take at least an hour to construct.
This smaller basket was made from 10 insert sheets.


4.  OPTIONAL: Add paper mache and/or paint your baskets and let them dry.  Add ribbons when finished if you like.

5.  Fill baskets with eggs, candy, or healthy snacks (if you are anti-candy like me).



For more ideas on how to be resourceful with newspapers,

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE IT! We already have a plan for Easter baskets, but I've been wanting to try this project to make bowls. I wasn't sure if it was a kid-friendly project, but now you've convinced me.

Aiming4Simple said...

Yes, Jaimie, it is kid-friendly, except for the hot glue stage. I had fun making them, and my daughter enjoyed painting hers.

Anonymous said...

brilliant interpretation of my version! wouldn't these be so cute for flower girls at a DIY wedding? all the best!

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

This is wonderful!!!!

Last Minute Mel said...

What a super idea...they look great :)

Christine Dayton said...

don't have a newspaper laying around...gonna try it with a magazine!

Aiming4Simple said...

@Chrissy-I find that thinner magazine pages also work fine. Thicker magazine pages might need to be cut in half lengthwise first--they are difficult to wrap tightly otherwise.

Vicki H said...

I love that! I took a basket weaving class at my public library long ago, and it's not hard to do either. Mother Earth News ran an article years ago, on how to weave baskets using brown paper bags cut and folded into long strips. I think it was an apple basket? Not sure, but the article is probably in their archives somewhere...

Andrea . Charcoal and Crayons said...

These are lovely! A great way to use old flyers too. You definitely have me thinking of new projects to try with this technique. Thanks for the inspiration!

thetribe said...

Do the strips of paper get wider as you go up the bowl? I tried this and mine did'nt turn out so great.

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I had no idea your baskets were made out of newspaper! Great job! I love them! Thanks for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

Aiming4Simple said...

@michael-For the bigger basket, you are right. I did use wider strips toward the top. I suppose that's what I would recommend.

Unknown said...

Hello!
I'm a writer for Crafting a Green World (www.craftingagreenworld.com) and was hoping to feature this project on a recycled Easter basket round-up this week. I can't find your email anywhere on your site, but if you're interested in me featuring your site please contact me immediately. Thanks!

-Bonnie @ Crafting a Green World

rohanrj said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. How much does it cost to start cannabis cultivation in Canada

rohanrj said...

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. Cannabis business plan template

rohanrj said...

I’m inspired along the surpassing plus preachy listing that you decorate in such minor timing.
hemp cbd business plans

rohanrj said...

It is a very profitable post for me. I've enjoyed reading the post. It is very informative and useful post. I would like to visit the post once more its valuable content. Fish Mount Package

rohanrj said...

It's a great pleasure reading your post.It's full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work! pompano beach apartments for rent by owner

rohanrj said...

Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place. Mental Health Counseling